FIRE RESTRICTION IN EFFECT
A fire restriction is in effect for the MD of Smoky River, due to forecasted above average temperatures, low humidity and gusty winds.
Under this Restriction:
- Current permits are suspended, including burn barrels;
- No new fire permits will be issued until conditions improve.
- Any burning without a valid fire permit, other than a campfire, is prohibited.
- Safe wood campfires *
- Backyard fire pits
- Portable propane fire pits
- Gas or propane stoves and barbecues
- Catalytic or infrared-style heaters
*Safe wood campfires – should be within a metal, brick, or rock fire ring. They are required to:
- Be on rock, gravel, sand, or another non-combustible surface that extends at least one metre around the fire;
- Have a responsible person in attendance to keep fire under control at all times and extinguish before leaving;
- Have on hand enough water on site to extinguish the fire. Safe wood campfires on private lands include private land campgrounds and private land recreation areas; and
- Municipalities, Parks and protected areas may have additional fire safety requirements.
Never leave a campfire unattended. Soak it, stir it and soak it again until cool to the touch to ensure it is extinguished. If you see a wildfire, report it immediately by calling 310-FIRE.
The fire Restriction will remain in effect until conditions improve.