Climate Change Coordinator
Term: 24-month contract
Reporting to the Falher CAO, the Climate Change Coordinator will focus on the planning and implementation of municipal climate change priorities. The primary responsibility will be working on the development and implementation of the municipalities’ climate adaptation plan.
Additionally, the Climate Change Coordinator will contribute to the development and implementation of municipal operational and institutional changes that will lead to operational savings and reduced vulnerability to climate change impacts. This individual will also focus on the implementation of municipal climate change adaptation.
The Climate Change Coordinator may also be responsible for broader capacity-building and knowledge-sharing activities and deliverables, as required.
- Under the direction of the Falher CAO, and in conjunction with other municipalities: develop the climate adaptation plan for the municipalities of Falher, Donnelly, Girouxville and Smoky River. This will include the following tasks:
- Prepare for the planning process, including educating municipal employees and council on climate change issues.
- Create a vision for the planning
- Assess the current situation.
- Create a GHG inventory of Girouxville.
- Assess the vulnerability of infrastructure to climate change impacts.
- Develop the action
- Develop the measurement and monitoring
- Obtain council approval
- Develop and promote the adoption of municipal operational and institutional changes that will ensure climate adaptation over a longer term.
- Research, propose, and implement operational and institutional changes required to implement recommendations from the climate adaptation
- Ensure long-term impacts for the municipality
- Put together a climate change steering
- Conduct research and analysis for implementing municipal climate adaptation
- Lead public education
- Prepare a GHG inventory of Girouxville
- Organize stakeholder consultations
- Coordinate policy research.
- In conjunction with other municipal departments, ensure that the municipalities:
- Completes a self-assessment of the municipality’s performance and progress using the Maturity Scale for Climate Adaptation at the beginning and end of the grant
- Prepares and submits a project progress report and a project completion report.
- University degree in environmental science, environmental studies, urban planning or
Knowledge, skills, and experience
- Strong knowledge and experience in the areas of climate change adaptation, sustainable development, and asset management.
- Demonstrated understanding of climate change issues and sustainable development within the context of municipal
- Strong research and analytical skills (e.g. ability to conduct rigorous research, summarize findings, and present recommendations).
- Ability to conceptualize.
- Excellent writing and communications skills (e.g. ability to write succinct reports and prepare communications materials).
- Good knowledge of computer
- Strong ability to multi-task, with attention to
- Understanding of the program development process and how to implement new initiatives, including planning, costing, team building, implementation strategies, and building in feedback and evaluation
Please submit your resume and your cover letter to email@example.com. Competition closing date is March 1st, 2019, however may remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Only the selected candidate will be contacted.